dfsrs.exe high cpu usage

Hello. I am using two Windows 2008 R2 servers with DFS namespaces and replication for user home directories and profiles. They are both in the replication group and replicate between offices. I have noticed that dfsrs.exe is using quite a lot of cpu on both servers. Is this normal? It can use 100% for long periods of time.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Have you just set this up? Are there lots of files to replicate? If so it could just be the initial replication is taking a lot of resources.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hey Dave. It's been in place for a few weeks now but I've only just noticed it. I assume the initial replication completed a while ago. Can I check it completed successfully?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Maybe you need to increase the staging quota if there are lots of large files to replicate? This article on tuning replication performance in dfsr is a really good read:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2010/03/31/tuning-replication-performance-in-dfsr-especially-on-win2008-r2.aspx
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    In the DFS Management Console use the Create Diagnostic Report to generate a Health Report - this will tell you if there are any issues such as low staging quota.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi. I think you're right, there are two warnings in the health report:
    DFS Replication failed to clean up old staging files for replicated folder UserData
    DFS Replication failed to clean up old staging files. As a result, some large files might fail to replicate, and the replicated folder UserData might become out of sync. The service will automatically try to clean up the staging folder again. This failure has happened 16 times in the past 7 days. Event ID: 4206
    and
    Premature purging of staging files is impacting performance on replicated folder UserData
    Staging files are being purged prematurely because the staging quota for replicated folder UserData is too small. This purging can cause excessive disk I/O and CPU usage. To avoid this problem, increase the quota of the staging folder. This has occurred 38 times in the past 72 hours. Event ID: 4202
    What do you recommend I do to fix this? Shall I just increase the staging quota? If so, what to? What is considered too little or too much?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Have a read of this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782648(v=ws.10).aspx
    At a minimum, the staging folder quota for servers running Windows Server 2003 R2 should be at least the size of the nine largest files in the replicated folder.
    The powershell command in the Tip section will help you determine the largest files in your replicated folder.

Dave
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for your help guys. I've increased the staging quota so will see if that improves performance.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Frils8. How did you get on with this?