Symantec Backup Exec error e0009418

I have another problem with Symantec Backup Exec. I have recently added a second drive to the server and split the backup job into two different ones (there was too much data for one tape and it was taking far too long to complete). Since doing this one of the jobs, not always the same job, fails with this error:
Error: e0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec
It starts backing up, and gets about half way through, then fails. The Symantec site says it is to do with licensing but they are all installed. Is there an extra license required for running one copy of Backup Exec with two tape drives? Each job is backing up different data and I have all the required agent licenses installed.

Cheers

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Cocker,

What version of Backup Exec are you running?

I haven't come across this error myself and can't find much with Google for it. Are you running the jobs at the same time? And, as you say they are backing up different data, do you have more than one server running something that requires an agent, such as SQL? Just a guess but if the server is backing up something like SQL on 2 different servers at the same time this may cause it to complain about the license. Can you stagger the jobs so one starts later than the other to see if this solves it?

HTH

Dave
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello Dave.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll change the schedules and see what happens.

Cocker
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just an update, I didn't have to change anything - it just started working. Very strange!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    I had a problem like this and I had to solve it. I chose changing my antivirus and now I use this kaspersky internet security and I am very satisfied. There are a lot of differences between kaspersky and symantec and i tested them; I like kaspersky becouse it doesn't slow down my pc :)
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Backup Data , file backups are important, are not sufficient to recover the system disk and the server crashes. To use the backup file must be returned to the server work, and if the server does not work, because the system disk is dead, you're still out of luck. Recovery from disk crash the server system includes a re-install the server operating system (Unix, NetWare, NT, etc.) - If you are the server operating system installation disks and license numbers. If not, you're out of luck. (You can also stop working.) You will also need the driver software for any special hardware, and then you configure them.

ESXi Backup Software
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Alisha,
    Thanks so much for posting all of the awesome info! Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    uch as SQL? Just a guess but if the server is backing up something like SQL on 2 different servers at the same time this may cause it to complain about the license. Can you stagger the jobs so one starts later than the other to see if this solves it?